Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vest? Waistcoat?

Linen vest

Seeing as it's summer, I thought it would be perfect weather for a lightweight linen vest. That, and I thought I should exercise my growing sewing abilities with something a bit more challenging than a tie or bow tie. It worked out pretty well considering the monumental leap in difficulty between the two projects.

The vest is made of a lovely linen that I previously used for my tie, with a brown satin backing and lining and dark brown buttons. Two welts adorn the front, but I don't know how to make pockets yet so they are unfortunately nonfunctional. This annoys me immensely. I drafted the pattern using a stock pattern to get an idea of how the vest would be constructed, but had to make the actual thing from scratch seeing as oversized American patterns are a few sizes too large for my tiny self. I wonder if I'd have better luck with Korean sewing patterns...

The stitching isn't the best in the world, but it looks decent enough for me to wear it, at least. I would post detail shots, but I'm honestly a bit too embarrassed by their shoddy craftsmanship to do so. I have a long way to go before I consider this vest to be anywhere near the quality I want it to be, though.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew, will you ever cease to amaze me? About the pockets, surprisingly not that hard. There are a number of techniques, all with different results. This easiest is of course just to sew a square onto whatever article of clothing you've made, but that isn't all that attractive and wouldn't work with the piece you've got here. I'd say make a small square pouch using two pieces of the black fabric you made the back out of, then sew that in along the edge of the welts once you cut the fabric open at the base of them.... I suggest looking up videos, but I've never thought it was all that overwhelmingly hard. problem is that it IS a hell of a lot easier to add pockets to piece as your making it rather then adding them post production...

    ReplyDelete