Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bow ties!

Bow Ties

I must say that I'm a huge fan of bow ties. They add a bit of dandy to my life that creates a sense of deeply enjoyable playfulness. Because there is NO way I could take myself seriously in a pink and white striped bow tie. The only issue is, a bow tie and a shirt without any sort of jacket, sweater, or waistcoat creates a large swath of fabric on one's torso that can seem a bit unbalanced.

But I digress. These bow ties were quite simple to make once I drafted the patterns for them. The lengths and widths are modeled after a piece that I picked up in a vintage store in New Orleans last summer - nice and slim with wonderful proportions. There's a lot that can be done with the lines of a bow tie as they converge from two sides onto a central point, so patterned pieces end up looking particularly interesting.

Also, there's something incredibly satisfying about coming home after a long day out and undoing a bow tie, letting it hang loosely to either side of one's neck. It's a bit therapeutic... for me anyways.

On my to-do list: Reversible and split pattern bow ties!

1 comment:

  1. My little boys also love bow ties and maybe this coming week I'm gonna buy a pair of bow ties for them.

    ReplyDelete